On Monday April 30, 2018, the Calgary Falcons Football Association held a Special General Meeting with its membership to vote on a Special Resolution. The sole issue to be decided was whether or not to accept the Falcon Board’s recommendation to dissolve the Association.
With quorum established, a brief statement was read by President Jill Kobelak, outlining the difficulties the Falcons Club has faced since its inception in 2004 to present day, including:
- the repeated requests put forward by the Falcons to both the CBFA and the CSFA to alter the CBFA’s outdated territory map in a way that would reflect a more equitable distribution of households to member teams, and the unwillingness of both Leagues to act on those requests
- the pattern of decisions made in bad faith by both the CBFA and CSFA against the Falcons to benefit competing Clubs: Signal Hill ceded back to WildCats / Bantam territory taken / Spring players forced to merge with BullDogs
- the complete lack of appeals process, or any independent disciplinary body overseeing Calgary amateur tackle football (unlike all other Calgary sports)
- the complete monopoly that the CBFA and CSFA have over Shouldice Park
- the lack of transparency and the lack of good governance principles used by both the CBFA and CSFA, especially with respect to the election of its Board of Directors
- the general disrespect shown to the Falcons over the years, and the low odds of anything changing for the better
The presentation took an informal question and answer format, and the members were given 15 minutes to discuss amongst themselves the pros / cons of accepting the Board’s recommendation. The vote was taken and, as a ¾ majority was not achieved as is required by section 34 of the Alberta Societies Act, the Motion to dissolve the Calgary Falcons Football Association was defeated.
Therefore, please accept this notice as confirmation that
- The Calgary Falcons Football Association intends to field an Atom team and a PeeWee team this fall 2018. Spring Camp dates TBA shortly on the website
- The Annual General Meeting will go on as scheduled
- When? Saturday June 2, 2018 from 11:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
- Where? 2nd Floor Lounge, North Glenmore Park Community Association
- Address: 2231 Longridge Drive SW, Calgary, AB (in Lakeview)
- Who votes? Parents of players who played Atom or PeeWee in Fall of 2017, plus coaches, staff of those two teams. Please register on your way in so we can verify your eligibility to vote
- Agenda items?
- New Board of Directors to be voted in (Existing Directors stepping down) Need: President, Vice President, Treasurer, Secretary and at least one Director at Large
- Financials to be reviewed
- Report by Mike Stewart – Head Coach
If you would like to connect with the Falcons current President, Jill Kobelak, please use the Feedback line at the bottom of the Contact Us page.